May 6, 2014

Exclusive Interview with Prof. Johann Van der Merwe


One interviewer, One interviewee, One catch – I’d like each response to be answered in 60 words or less.
By Lukhanyo Mpumela @Lukha_M
                Tell us about you?
I grew up in in Pretoria during the fifties. It was carefree and I was a happy child. We had no television then but we listened as a family each night at 7.20 to a radio serial. Thereafter it was ‘lights out’ and everyone to bed! I remember Hendrik Verwoerd and John F Kennedy being assassinated very clearly; as well as the black and white pictures of the first man on the moon and the first heart transplant here at Groote Schuur. I was in love with Marilyn Monroe.

Your career spans over 20 years. What have been some of the challenges you have encountered, and what have been the highlights?
No. My career spans over 40 years. My career here at CPUT spans over 25 years. My greatest challenge – and highlight - was when, at the age of 23, I had to face a sea of black faces as a young white man at the University of Fort Hare in my first job as a law lecturer. Other highlights - amongst many - include a British Council Scholarship for research towards my Doctorate in Law in London during 1982/83 and two extended stints in Europe and the USA as a visiting lecturer during the early 90’s, but under the radar – as apartheid was then not dead yet.
Higher Education trend that you didn’t see coming?
Massification. The building now housing the Faculty of Business was built, when we moved in there in December 1991, to accommodate class sizes of a maximum of 30, with a few large auditoriums for special occasions.
What are your thoughts on the Public Relations and Communications markets in South Africa?
These markets are populated by professionals who know what they want and will not settle for mediocrity. Servicing these markets as a PR or Communication professional will require that you have to be better than most of your many competitors.Please offer one survival tip for making it in this highly competitive industry.
You have to be SIMPLY THE BEST! BETTER THAN ALL THE REST … to coin a phrase from the famous Tina Turner song. To achieve that you have to persevere in spite of set-backs and disappointments. And, believe me, those are part of the playing field.
What's the best piece of career advice you've ever received?
I never received any good career advice. What I should have done was to follow my instincts; and that is to have studied literature and theatre art and become a professional director. You see, in my days, the advice was to become a doctor, advocate or cleric: that is what your parents wanted!
Being the PR Department HOD, what are the ‘soft skills’ that a leader cannot do without?
You have to possess compassion. Many see this as a weakness. I view it as part of my survival kit. What is the point of working with young people if you refuse to understand them; and the challenges they face in an often very cruel world?
The best thing about CPUT?
The students of course! Yes, the “nature of the beast” (!) has changed over the years; and we complain often as lecturers about lack of discipline, unaccountability, disregard of deadlines, etc. But you know what? That which will linger in my memory and in my heart the longest will be our wonderful students. I will carry the bright smiles with me, the Hello Prof! that you suddenly hear – unexpectedly – somewhere and, most of all, the triumphant graduation days. That is what it is all about: the final graduation …
And one improvement that you would /wish to make would be?
I would like to see many, many more student bursaries. The CPUT Advancement Department works tirelessly on this, but there is still a long road to go. I would also like to see outstanding, successful students being rewarded financially with the waiver of class fees and other incentives.
The future of CPUT PR Department would bring?
Who knows? It would be in good hands though, and the future could only be good providing that the staff and the students hold on to the belief that our occupation is a professional one with a strong code of ethics.
What would you like to be remembered for?
As someone who tried his best – occasionally fought for – the interests of his students and his staff, sometimes against the prevailing attitudes of those in power who are, very often, far removed from the realities of the classroom.
·                     What is your power perspective?

Power is a very dangerous weapon. In the hands of the wrong person (-s) it is scary. Power is like an addiction: those who have it, usually crave more. In the academic environment I would like to see power replaced with three c’s: competency, capability and compassion.



No comments:

Post a Comment